We are looking for someone to join our team as Birkie Coordinator!
Canadian Birkebeiner Society Birkie Coordinator
The Canadian Birkebeiner Society (CBS), founded in 1985, is a not-for-profit organization focused on the planning and provision of the annual Canadian Birkebeiner Ski Festival that takes place in the greater Edmonton area. The Birkie is Western Canada’s Premier Nordic Ski Event and one of only three Birkebeiner Loppets in the world – Norway and the USA host the other two. In the spirit of the Norwegian Birkebeiner legend, the Birkie continues the tradition of honouring perseverance, courage and fortitude … as well as lots of Nordic Fun for the whole family! We will be celebrating our 30th Anniversary in 2019! The Birkie Coordinator supports the successful planning and administration of the annual Birkie Ski Festival and all related events run by the Society.
Duties of the Coordinator include but are not limited to:
- Provide support, advice and assistance to key volunteers including Directors of the Board and Loppet Chiefs;
- Liaise with sponsors, suppliers, media, skiers and volunteers;
- Assist with organizing key Birkie functions such as the Festival Banquet,
- Volunteer Orientation and Appreciation Night, and the Nordic Fair;
- Assist Sponsorship Director in attracting and liaising with sponsors
Prepare the Birkie Newsletter;
- Work with the President and Treasurer to research and follow up on grant and fundraising opportunities;
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Post-secondary education;
- Familiarity and experience with computers, software, and computer systems;
- Experience in event planning and administration;
- Experience with fundraising;
- Experience working with suppliers to assist committees of the Board (e.g., merchandising and printed materials);
- Knowledge or experience with not-for-profit societies, including an ability to work in a volunteer-based organization;
- Effective time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks;
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills;
- Experience in volunteer administration;
- Familiarity with and understanding of cross-country skiing would be considered an asset.
Typically 22 – 25 hours a week from September to April, with additional hours worked closer to the event and occasional hours as needed at other times of year.
This is a 0.6 FTE wage position based on an hourly rate of pay from $29, commensurate with experience. Appointment will be for an initial 3-year term with the opportunity for extension. A 90-day probationary period will apply.
Position will be open until July 1, 2018 or until a suitable applicant is found. Please apply by email to email@example.com. Only applicants invited for interviews will be contacted. We thank all others expressing interest.
Further information: Click here to see full Coordinator Job Description and detailed Terms of Employment. For other queries, please contact the Human Resources Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)