This course is held Tuesdays during daytime. The focus will be on developing ski specific fitness and improving technique and efficiency on skis. It will also include current practical information and tips on topics like equipment, waxing, clothing, stretching, hydration, nutrition and race strategies to help you plan and ski your best Birkie.
A highlight will be two longer ski days incorporated out at Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area to allow you to experience on the terrain where the Birkie takes place. The course will conclude with a post-Birkie wrap-up celebration with food and drink provided.
Participants should be of at least average fitness and intermediate ski ability to register for this course. Sessions will not be cancelled due to inclement weather.
- Free admission for Birkie Training Group (BTG) participants to wax clinics (beginner and intermediate) held in January by MEC
- Discounts for BTG participants off Birkie event registration
- $15 off 55 km events
- $10 off 31 km event
- $5 off 13 km event
Registration: Minimum of 6 registrants for course to run
- Course is full, look for this great program next season.
Dates and Times:
- 10 sessions Tuesday afternoons starting November 21, 2017:
Nov 21, 28; Dec 5, 12, 19 2017; Jan 9, 16, 23, 30; Feb 6, 2018
- Most scheduled days will be 12 – 1:30 p.m. at Gold Bar Park
- Long ski days from noon – 2:30 pm at Blackfoot with dates and locations by mutual arrangement with instructor, based on weather
and ski conditions
- Wrap-up celebration for Birkie Training Groups: evening of Feb 12, 2018 (food & drink provided)
Lead Instructor and Coordinator:
Laura Maser will again be the Coordinator/Lead Instructor for the Mid-Week program. Laura has a Bachelor of Physical Education degree and has CANSI Level 2 certification. This is her fourth year teaching nordic skiing, and she has previous experience as an alpine instructor. She is a member of the Edmonton Nordic Ski Club and has completed eight Birkies, as well as numerous other loppets.
CANSI = Canadian Association of Nordic Ski Instructors