- The premier classic ski festival in Canada with broad appeal and international scope, attracting approximately 2,000 skiers from near and far; the largest classical ski event in Canada.
- A family-oriented, friendly cross-country ski loppet (recreational event) honouring the spirit of the 800-year-old historic legend of the original Birkebeiners who saved the heir to the Norwegian throne in a 55 km epic journey.
- Multiple events and distances – something to suit all ages and abilities: legendary premier 55 km Birkie With Pack, 55 km Birkie Lite, 40 km Skate-Ski, 31 km Tour, 13 km Mini Birkie, and an untimed 2.5 or 4 km Ole’s Tour for kids and novices.
- A celebration of events beginning with the Opening Ceremonies and ending with the Vikings' Feast after the Birkebeiner ski events.
- Ski events are held east of Edmonton at Cooking Lake/Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area, the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village and Elk Island National Park.
- Takes place the second Saturday in February every winter.
- An adventure for outdoor enthusiasts.
- An enjoyable time for meeting your friends.