Can’t travel but still want to experience the Canadian Birkie? Now you can go at your own pace, at your own place! You are invited to join thousands of people around the world completing the Canadian Birkie virtually. This seventeen-day event takes place from February 12 to 28, 2021; note that the dates were extended. You can classic ski, skate ski, roller-ski, skijor, cycle, run, ice skate, snowshoe, or walk in a 4, 8, 13, 31 or 55 kilometre event.
Check out the Virtual Birkie online stories and photos here!
Registration is now closed
Your Virtual Birkie includes the opportunity to:
- Win prizes with a total value of over $2300 in the Virtual Birkie Photo Contest. GRAND PRIZE: a Cross Country Ski Getaway in the Canadian Rockies. You get two nights at the Castle Mountain Chalets in Banff National Park.
- Upload your results and see your ranking on Zone4.
- Compete with people around the world
- Download a commemorative bib
- Print an official participant certificate and hang it on your wall
- Access our special Virtual Canadian Birkie Facebook Group
- 25% off code for Canadian Maple Syrup Altitude Energy Drink
- 15% off code for Alley Kat beer
- Contribute to our non-profit’s effort to promote cross country skiing
- Have a great excuse to go outside and enjoy winter
Price Option One: All the above listed benefits for $20 per skier.
Price Option Two: All the above listed benefits PLUS an exclusive red Birkie Thermal Cover for $35 per skier. Keep your phone warm and working while you ski!
Registration closes Friday, February 19, 2021 at Noon MST.
The $15 Deal
Pay only $15 per person when you sign up four people. That is like getting four people for the price of three. You will get a total of $20 off for signing up four people! Details here.
Most Kilometre Group Award
Sign up your friends, office, department or organization for the Most KM Group Award. Check it out here.
How it works
Three Birkie masks for $20.
You will receive a mix of both colours in each package (no options). Buy Masks only here.
Age limits and safety
Safety for our skiers is our number one priority. As such age limits are part of our critical effort to ensure everyone stays out of harms way and gets home safely. See details for age limits for specific ski distances here.
Birkieland will be open 7am-11pm, seven days a week. There are NO Birkie signs, skier support, trail sweep, food/aid stations, or warm-up fires. Skiers at Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area must be self-contained with their own food, drinks, and emergency plan. They must also share the trail with beginner skiers and non-skiers.
COVID protocols are different at each location. Please follow your local COVID guidelines.
No refunds and extra fees
No refunds and non-transferable. Click here to see the Canadian Birkebeiner Refund, Privacy and Cancellation Statements.
A processing fee for registration will be added at the payment stage and includes a $2 Zone4 Registration System fee and a 3% credit card fee. No sales taxes will be charged.
See our frequently asked questions page.