The 2024 Saturday Ski Events have been cancelled due to poor snow conditions. To learn more, please read the February 1, 2024 newsletter.
Birkie Saturday – February 10, 2024
A fun course for those who want a taste of the Birkie! Skiers in this event vary in age and ability, but they all seek the thrill of crossing the finish line. Children aged eight to eleven must be accompanied by an adult also registered in the same event. Medals are given to overall male and female winners and medallions are given to age groups 18 and under. Adult age group finish times provided for informational purposes.
Course Description & Map
This course is a loop starting from the field east of the Waskehegan Stadium out to Last Chance (Meadow) Shelter and back. The loop features rolling hills and winding trails beside beaver ponds.
- 2024 13 km Global Edmonton Mini Birkie Course Map Coming Soon
Start Line & Finish Area
The 13 km Global Edmonton Mini Birkie starts and finishes at the Waskehegan Staging Area in Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area. Access to the start is behind the Festival Tent, past the picnic shelter to a big field. Plan on a 10-minute walk to the start line and place yourself in a lane based on your estimated skiing time in the wave of your choice.
- 2024 Stadium Short Start/Finish Line Map Coming Soon
1:20 Official Opening 13 km/ 7 km
1:30 Start of first wave
1:35 Start of the second wave
1:45 Start 13 km/ 7 km Closed
The 13 km event will have wave starts. The first wave will be at 1:30 and is for the skiers who would expect to be in the top 1/3 in terms of finishing position. The second wave at 1:35 is for slower more `methodical’ skiers. Wave start choice is not required during registration; please select a wave informally and start off accordingly. There is no time advantage to either wave as your time starts when your timing chip (and presumably you) cross the start line.
Registration Package & Bib Pick-up
Registration package and bib pick up will take place at the Nordic Fair on February 9, 2024. Timing chips will also be distributed at this time. There is a $100 charge for non-returned timing chips.
- Children 2 – 7 years of age are not allowed.
- Children 8 – 11 years of age must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
- Children 12 – 17 years old do not need to be accompanied by an adult guardian, but we recommend it.
Parking and Shuttle
There is no parking at the Short Start at the Waskahegan Staging Area. Skiers and spectators must park at Bethel Transit Terminal. Free shuttle buses run continuously between Bethel Transit Terminal and Waskahegan from 8:00 am until 5:45 pm. Buses leave when they are full (about every 10-15 minutes) and the ride takes approximately 30 minutes.
- 2024 Venues Map Coming Soon
Once You’re There
- Dress appropriately in layers and bring extra clothing and wax for changing weather.
- Bring a duffel bag or backpack to keep your warm clothing and other items in for use after the race. In your event package you will find a tag and zip tie to attach it to your clothing bag. It is very important to clearly mark your BIB NUMBER on your tag. You can leave it at the Clothing Tent in the Finish Line/Stadium Area.
- Snacks and coffee are available in the Festival Tent.
- Indoor washrooms are not available, but there will be outdoor portapotties.
|13 km Global Edmonton Mini Birkie
Back to Ski Events