Birkie Saturday, February 11, 2023
Waskahegan to Waskahegan
A fun course for those who want a taste of the Birkie! Skiers in this event vary in age and ability, but they all seek the thrill of crossing the finish line. Children aged eight to eleven must be accompanied by an adult also registered in the same event. Medals are given to overall male and female winners and medallions are given to age groups 18 and under. Adult age group finish times provided for informational purposes.
The 13 km event will have wave starts. The first wave will be at 1:30 and is for the skiers who would expect to be in the top 1/3 in terms of finishing position. The second wave at 1:35 is for slower more `methodical’ skiers. Wave start choice is not required during registration; please select a wave informally and start off accordingly. There is no time advantage to either wave as your time starts when your timing chip (and presumably you) cross the start line.
1:20 Official Opening 13km/8km/4km
1:30 Start of first wave
1:35 Start of the second wave
1:45 Start 13km Closed
Start Line and Finish Area
This event starts and finishes at the Waskahegan Staging Area, in the Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area. Access to the start is behind the Festival Tent, past the picnic shelter to a big field (please see map below). Plan on a 10-minute walk to the start line and place yourself in a lane based on your estimated skiing time in the wave of your choice.
- Download the Stadium Start/Finish Line map
Registration Package & Bib Pick-up
Registration package and bib pick up will take place at the Nordic Fair on February 10, 2023. Timing chips will also be distributed at this time. There is a $60 charge for non-returned timing chips.
- Children 2 – 7 years of age are not allowed.
- Children 8 – 11 years of age must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
- Children 12 – 17 years old do not need to be accompanied by an adult guardian, but we recommend it.
Once You’re There
- Dress appropriately in layers and bring extra clothing and wax for changing weather.
- Bring a duffel bag or backpack to keep your warm clothing and other items in for use after the race. In your event package you will find a tag and zip tie to attach it to your clothing bag. It is very important to clearly mark your BIB NUMBER on your tag. You can leave it at the Clothing Tent in the Finish Line/Stadium Area.
- Snacks and coffee are available in the Festival Tent.
- Indoor washrooms are not available, but there will be outdoor portapotties.
What’s the route?
The 13 km Global Edmonton Mini Birkie event is a loop starting from the field east of the Waskahegan Stadium out to Last Chance (Meadow) Shelter and back. Course is rolling hills and winding trails beside beaver ponds.
Parking and Shuttle
There is no parking at the Start/Finish Line. Skiers and spectators MUST PARK at Bethel Transit Terminal (shown here on the Venues Map). Free shuttle buses run continuously between Bethel Transit Terminal and Waskahegan from 8:00 am until 5:45 pm. Buses leave when they are full (about every 10-15 minutes) and the ride takes approximately 30 minutes.
|Registration Fees||Oct 2022||Nov 2022||Dec 2022||Jan 2023||Feb 2023|
|13 km Global Edmonton Mini Birkie||$45||$50||$55||$60||$75|
Back to Ski Events