Saturday January 27, 2024
Embark on a evening cross-country ski adventure at Waskehegan Staging Area in Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area. Glide under the starry sky and embrace the darkness of the new moon with a headlamp to light your track. Or propel yourself forward while enjoying an unique landscape of shadows created by the full moon. Enjoy stories, laughs, snacks and hot chocolate in the warmed huts at the start or midway.
Course Description & Map
- 2024 Full Moon Course Map Coming Soon
Sign in desk opens at 6:00 p.m.
Skiing begins at 6:30 p.m
- Approximately 12 km of beautiful groomed ski trails through the forest.
- Patrollers and sweeps will monitor the route.
- Hot chocolate, snacks, and a bonfire will be provided for registrants.
- There is a walk planned as a backup experience if snow conditions are inadequate for skiing.
Kids Ski Free
When registered with an adult. Sign up to ski the Full Moon Birkie and your child under 12 skis free! Only one child skis free per adult who is registered in the same event. When you are registering online, remember to enter the Kids Ski Free promo code. The code will be provided on the registration form.
- Children 2 – 7 years old are not recommended. If they register, they must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
- Children 8 – 11 years of age must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
- Ages 12 to 100 must ski with at least one other person.
Every Participant Must:
- Sign in and sign out at the Waskahegan Staging Area shelter. This includes recording their vehicle license plate number.
- Have a functioning headlamp. We recommend carrying extra batteries.
- Dress for the weather and cover all exposed skin to prevent frostbite. We recommend carrying extra clothing, socks, head and hand gear.
- Ski with at least one other person and use the buddy system by travelling with one or more people.
- Return and be signed out at the Waskahegan Staging Area by 10:00 p.m. at the latest.
- If you come alone, please let the on-site coordinators know when you sign in and we will help you find a buddy/ group to ski with.
- If you are concerned about cold hands, you can bring hand warmers. Please do not litter when you are finished with the warmers.
- The ski goes from Waskahegan Staging Area to Meadow Shelter, which is a round trip of ~12 km. Skiers who would like a shorter trip can turn around at any time but must stay with their buddy. There will be patrollers along the route including a sweep at the end of the event.
- If the conditions are too cold or unsafe, we will email you that the event is cancelled.
- Participants must register online in advance, or, if space is available, on site at the event.
- There are no refunds and registrations are non-transferable.
|Registration Fees||Online Registration||On Site Registration|
|Full Moon Birkie||$15||$25|
Back to Ski Events