Cross Country Ski under the light of the moon! #fullmoonbirkie
Friday, December 13, 2019
Friday, January 10, 2020
Place: Waskahegan Staging Area, Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area
Time: 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
- Registration: 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Tour start time: 7:00 p.m.
Cost: $10 per person
Your registration includes:
- 2 to 12 km ski tour
- Patrollers and sweep
- Hot chocolate and snacks
- Interaction with an owl, courtesy of the Beaver Hill Bird Observatory
- Alberta Parks interpreter
- A backup Moonlight Experience if snow conditions are inadequate for skiing
Don’t worry if snow conditions are not suitable for skiing; we will set up a moonlight walking experience so the event can go ahead! In the event snow conditions are not suitable, your registration still includes all the above and instead of the ski tour you will receive:
- A 4 km moonlight ‘looped walk’, utilizing the first loop of the ski trails at Waskahegan, starting at the shelter.
Remember to bring:
1) Headlamp with an extra battery
2) Classic-style skis, ski boots and poles
3) Extra set of warm clothes to change into
4) Spirit for adventure
5) Appropriate outerwear and footwear for weather; please make sure to bring suitable footwear and ice grippers if conditions are icy.
- Sign up online in advance or on site (cash only) at the event.
- Participants MUST sign in and sign out inside the warming hut at Waskahegan Staging Area
- All participants must partake with at least one other person; use the buddy system by travelling with one or more people.
- Dress for the weather in layers
- Cover all exposed skin to prevent frostbite
- If you are concerned about cold hands, you can use hand warmers. Please do not litter when you are finished with the warmers.
- Everyone must return to the warming hut at the Waskahegan Staging Area by 10 p.m. at the latest
- If the conditions are too cold or unsafe, we will email you that the event is cancelled.
- The ski goes from Waskahegan Staging Area to Meadow Shelter, which is a round trip of 12 km. Skiers who would like a shorter trip can turn around at any time, but must stay with a buddy.
- The 4 km moonlight walk will start and finish at the shelter Waskahegan Staging Area. We expect participants can walk the full 4 km. However, if you would like to turn around, you must stay with a buddy and check out at the registration desk.
- There will be patrollers along the ski – or walking – route including a sweep at the end of the event.
- There are no refunds.
Children 2 – 7 years old are not recommended. If they register, they must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
Children 8 – 11 years of age must be registered with and accompanied by an adult guardian.
Ages 12 to 100 must ski along trails with at least one other person.