If the event is cancelled due to weather or ski conditions, participants who purchased Secure your Spot Insurance at time of sign up will have their ski registrations carried forward to the same event in the next year.
No refunds if course runs.
Why would the Birkie be cancelled due to weather or course conditions?
The Canadian Birkie Ski Festival takes place during winter in a remote wilderness location encompassing a large area. Climate and snow conditions are unpredictable, which can sometimes lead to unsafe conditions for skiers or volunteers. If poor weather or trail conditions are dangerous to participants, the Canadian Birkebeiner Society will cancel all or part of the event.
Canadian Birkie Ski Festival is sanctioned by Nordiq Alberta and must be organized and operated in accordance with the rules and regulations of Nordiq Canada. The Competition Jury, established under Nordiq Canada rules, makes the final determination as to whether the event will go ahead and, if so, whether the course and/or distances will be modified.
The Canadian Birkie Ski Festival will only proceed if weather and course conditions are safe for participants and volunteers.
Why not reschedule the event to another date or location?
The Canadian Birkie is always scheduled for the second Saturday in February. We are not able to reschedule or relocate our event due to calendar conflicts with other loppets and races, financial commitments, and the schedules of rental equipment, suppliers and hundreds of volunteers.
Will I receive a refund if the event is cancelled?
The Canadian Birkie Ski Festival is based on a No Refund, Non-Transferable basis. The Canadian Birkebeiner Society (CBS) is a non-profit organization, operated on a break-even basis and is a volunteer-run event. The expenses we incur in putting on the Canadian Birkie Ski Festival are considerable and include: staffing, registration, advertising, facility and equipment rentals, food and beverages for participants and volunteers, security and medical services, and much more. Most of this must be arranged weeks and even months in advance. CBS offers long distance skiers the opportunity to purchase Secure Your Spot Insurance.
How will I be informed of a cancellation?
The Canadian Birkebeiner Society will inform registered participants, officials, and volunteers by e-mail, social media, and on this Birkie website.
Why would I register early?
The Canadian Birkebeiner Society always encourages our skiers to register well in advance of the event. This gives skiers an early bird discount and helps us to plan and organize a unique experience for all participants and volunteers.
The above cancellation information is within the objectives of the Cross-Country Skiing Rules and Regulations, issued by Nordiq Canada.
The Canadian Birkebeiner Society (CBS) collects personal information from participants and volunteers for purposes directly related to the events organized by CBS. This may include information on the participant entry form including contact information, age, medical conditions, and emergency contact numbers.
- Contact Information: Mailing address for confirmation and to mail awards if required, E-mail address for registration confirmation, newsletters and feedback surveys
- Age: Your age as of the day of the event is requested for age class results for timed events. Only your age class, not your actual age or birthdate, is disclosed in the results. You are given an “Age Opt Out” option on the entry form if you do not want to provide your age nor be included in age class results.
- Medical and Emergency: Medical and emergency contact information supplied by you is for your safety and is available only to the medical crew on race day.
- We ask you to provide your e-mail address and your phone numbers. This will enable our employees and volunteers to contact you and provide information regarding your assignment.
Birkie Training Groups
Instructors are provided your registration information for class management and safety purposes.
Photography & Videography
Media and a CBS assigned photography and film crew attend all our events. Your completed registration form authorizes the use of images taken by media or CBS in subsequent publications and other media forms for marketing purposes of the Canadian Birkebeiner Society, Nordiq Alberta or Nordiq Canada.
Personal Information Security
CBS uses appropriate security to protect the privacy of your personal information. These safeguards are intended to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. CBS does not share your personal information with other organizations or third parties, with the exception of the companies contracted to provide services to CBS.
- Zone4 provides online registration, secure payment service, e-email confirmation, as well as timing chips to time the events and produce results.
- Raceroster is used for the Virtual Birkie and Biking Like a Viking.
- Other online platforms including Mailchimp and our serving hosting company, Microsoft.